View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neuropathy & Clonazepam

---To mrsD: I tried to get off of clonazepam cold-turkey with bad results - meaning that my PN flare-ups got worse just 3 days after ditching my usual twice-a-day 0.5 pills. Then I tried to do so using low dose Melatonin 1 as a substitute, but that didn't work out too well. (I was afraid of the possible side effects of melatonin so I gave up that attempt very quickly).

I was once on 2mg of Clonazepam per day for about 2 years in the past (before that just 1mg) and now, 0.5 - so far the dose reduction has gone well over the last 5 months. But there will be a time soon enough where I will try to get off of it again.

My goal is to give up ALL medication and just rely on vitamins for my health conditions. I hope that sounds realistic and not silly. As it is, clonazepam is the only drug I take other than my staple of vitamins.

My problem is actually my PN - my doctor wants the severity of my PN to go down before attempting to wean me off of the pills. Indeed, for long periods at a time, my PN does seem to fade away quite a bit - but I'm afraid that attempting to wean off of it at those times would cause me to relapse.

...also about the previous issue of alcohol, how long am I supposed to be off of Clonazepam before I have a drink? --Is my current 8-hours difference alright?

I hadn't noticed a thing concerning this other than being tired more. I hope it doesn't instigate PN flare-ups...though that never happened to me.

Truthfully, I was absolutely furious with my doctor when he told me a full year after taking clonazepam, that I might be addicted to it. He told me that small dosages don't addict patients -and I fell for it.

So, the guy actually got me addicted to a drug without letting me know it was highly addictive! ...oooooh, that freakin' quack!

Anyway, I don't want to be addicted to any drug ever -and to be honest, I don't even know if I AM addicted to it -I just assumed I was because I've been using it for so long. (5 years now -but no more than 2 mg per day in the past) Don't know if that makes a difference.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (02-27-2013)