View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks for this

Thanks to Kate Kelsall, long-time advocate and den mother to us all; DBS guide and Rockyettes funny and serious dancing, for her web-site at Shake Rattle Roll, and for bringing us Neil Sligar, who ignored what he was told, and ten years ago had invented his own therapy: exercise. The world was not ready for that, but now the world is ready: sinmet is great, but it is not the only item on our "to do" list.

These points from Neil's story attracted my attention, and I would say the same things apply emotionally, as well as physically:
Neil said:
8. When I commenced reading Parkinson’s literature on exercise, around early 2004, the prevailing “take it easy” advice didn’t ring true. Working out intensely didn’t exacerbate my symptoms. Training at night didn’t make falling asleep more difficult. I fall asleep more readily. Symptom relief flowed from intensity, not torpor.

(my note: emotional and creative intensity as well. Not torpor.)

Neil said:
9. Intensity is relative to the individual’s capability. Standing and sitting ten times would be intensive for a person with advanced Parkinson’s. Intensity means “giving it almost all you’ve got.”

10. There are many ways to exercise intensely. For several years I’d meet my son daily at the railway station to drive him home. Included as part of my exercise regime was a sprint up the railway stairs. At home there can be push-ups, sit-ups, and so on. Vigorous dancing would add an element of balance, social interaction, and test thinking skills.

There you go. As long as music and dancing are included, it's all good. Gonna get out my stationary bike. Wish I had a rowing machine. I would row that thing right across the ocean, even if it is a symbolic ocean.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote