View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had several lizards until I found out I was pregnant. I had a strong interest in herpetology for a long time, actually. I had a lot of Iguanas (one amputee). I started off with one whom I was afraid of. He grew on me and I somehow ended up with, I believe 11 when I had finally rehomed them all. I also had Jackson's Chameleons and 2 New Guinea Crocodile Monitor Lizards (I did NOT know what I got myself into there). From my understanding at the time, my two monitors were one of the closest relatives to the Komodo Dragon.

The funny part, was they were 12' and 14' long (male and female) with huge claws and teeth. Deadly by all means. I'd have to give my male stitches after the female attacked him and no vet in the tri-state would go near him even though I'd promised to have his mouth secured shut and cover his claws.

I'd domesticated the male enough to not kill me, but I always kept his mouth shut with a piece of cloth with velcro on it. I seemed to be fine around him, but if I saw a tiny snake I'd panic.

The iguanas all ended up rehomed, my brother in law too the Jack's and I gave the monitors to the zoo. The one I started off with ended up living at the school and he still lives there. I took him once a month to play with the kids (he likes 'head hopping'). I'll always have a soft spot for them, but I doubt I'll own any more.

I recall one of my rescues had a thing for running up and stealing food from my plate and climbing up the curtains so I couldn't take it back. She was the one who ended up an amputee after breaking out of her cage and getting stuck in my curtains
. She ended up losing a finger, but she never seemed to even care.

Ellie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote