Thread: SSDI question
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My experience was amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songfellow View Post
It was fairly easy for me. I had a written evaluation and confirmation of PD from my neurologist who specialized in movement disorders. Gaining SSDI approval was easy after that.

Steve
I had read all of the horror stories about SSDI. So, when it was time for me to apply I approached it with a great deal of dread. I really hated the idea of having to hire an attorney and pay for legal assistance to get what I've paid into for 50 years. After studying several articles on the web, I was sure that I would be turned down. I still work (less than 4 hours a week) and earn a very tiny income... not enough to support myself but work is work and everything I read said that I would be turned down immediately. Not wanting to deal with the stress, I canceled my appointment with social security.
You won't believe what happened next.... I got a phone call from the social security office asking why I canceled. I told them why and the lady on the phone actually talked me into coming in. When I went in for my appointment this woman personally filled out my paperwork for me and even stayed after hours to complete it for me.
A couple weeks later I received paperwork from another person asking questions having to do with what I used to be able to do compared to what I now can (can't) do. I sent that in and got another questionnaire which I completed and sent in. I did add pages with lots of details. I left nothing out and heeded the advice of my doctor to be very upfront and not to hide my health issues. (I am still trying to downplay my PD as much as I can... futile effort but I hate to lay my PD at the feet of everyone I meet.)
Almost exactly 90 days after my first appointment at Social Security, I received a phone call from the lady at social security with whom I first met. That was the lady that phoned me to get me to come in. She gave me the news that not only had I been approved but they would be paying me back SSDI for a year! I burst into tears!!!! I was so relieved and thankful.
As they say, "Your experience may vary" but, I had a miraculous experience and just wanted to share it so that you all would at least know that it is possible.
I attribute my success to several things. First of all, I had a remarkably kind social security worker. Secondly my neuro keeps exceptionally good records and is very sensitive to his patient's need to be approved for SSDI. He knows how important this money is and truly believes that his patients need and deserve SSDI. I would recommend that prior to applying, you speak with your neuro and find out his/her feelings on the subject. Lastly, I wrote very detailed answers to the questions on the followup paperwork.
So I hope my experience encourages others with advanced PD.
madamlash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bob Dawson (12-24-2012), NorCalGal (12-28-2012)