View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Athena Labs and....

Melody,

Sounds like Dr. Fred is a good guy.... and even being out here on the West Coast my doctors use Athena when necessary because its the only place the tests are available in the country because Athena helps develope them and can only be got there.... however, after they become routine, at least out here, Quest is considered quite reliable and insurance will not pay often out of state for a test that can be done locally - or - if you are going to a center for special tests like biopsies for amyloid, sural nerve, etc... they are sent to the centers the docs feel are the best to analyze.... (example - my sural nerve was taken out at local hospital and sent to large medical school for analysis - and amyloid biopsy sent to Boston at my request for second opinion)......

However, also agree with Dahlek that docs cannot possibly know all - and thats why we have our groups and us to help educate them.... as I know you do ---- even my neuros have worked off the LJ spreadsheets to be sure all testing has been done and may have missed - but they are incredibly busy and I can see how they dont have time to know all - most of my docs I have now are heads of their departments at their hopsital - and are called constantly on traumas, etc ... these guys/girls work like crazy and I dont know how they do it... they have told me - if I do have anything relevant for them - give them copies to read and they will.... which is great.....

Anyway, most important thing is we work with them - as members of NT we have lots of resources and thats great!

Good to hear Alan is healing - and sorry your PN is getting worse - gotta be tough - I've heard about 60% of people with diabetes eventually get PN - but at least knowing the underlying cause you are way ahead of the game - and keeping your diet etc under control like you have been you probably have really been helping yourself.... hope you find relief for the buring and take care.....
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote