View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Reassessing relationships after TBI

After a long recovery (over a year and a half), I am consistently feeling a lot better. I am not yet fully recovered, but am doing pretty well most of the time. My symptoms have significantly lessened, pretty much across the board, and I am gradually adding more activities to my routine.

My question is, how should I approach those relationships (friends, family, co-workers) that basically went by the wayside during my recovery? Many people completely bailed, with few making an effort to offer even the most basic support, encouragement or help. (On the flip side, a precious few people really rose to the occasion and helped me.)

I know most people do not understand the nature of concussion/mTBI, as it is in many ways an invisible injury, but I feel I've learned a hard truth, which is that some "friends" and "loved ones" simply can't be counted on when the going gets tough.

Strangely, I think the best plan might be simply not to worry about it, keep the faith, be grateful for my recovery, such as it is, be the best friend / family member I can, and look to help others when and where I can. In other words, focus on what *I* can do to keep a positive attitude, move forward, and live with integrity.

Any thoughts?
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (12-27-2012), MiaVita2012 (12-27-2012), Mokey (12-28-2012), Theta Z (12-27-2012)