View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll try to help -

Findings: CERVICAL

Post -operative degenerative changes C3-C5. Unsure what he means by that.
Then he just explains what has been done. There is an accentuated focal cervicothoracic kyphosis at the cervicothoracic junction. Kyphosis is an exaggerated outward curvature of the thoracic region resulting in a rounded back. There is severe disc space loss (the vertebra are getting closer together due to flattening of the discs) at C6-7 C2-3. C7-T1 are normal. Remaining levels are fused.

This is confusing: There are stable? focal abnormal? increased T2 signal seen within the cervical cord at the C5 vertebral level and also at the C6 & 7 where there is corresponding focal cord atrophy. Findings likely reflect cord myelomalacia. I don't know what he means by "stable" and then "abnormal" but signal means that there is activity in individual neurons in the nervous system; and it's a measure of activity in nerve is indicated by frequency of discharge. And for the life of my I can't remember what myelomalacia is.

C2-3 Looks fine

C3-4 Bilateral joint spurring with mild foraminal narrowing on the right. The foramen is one of the holes the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord.

C4-5 Same as above

C5-6 Looks fine

C6-7 Evaluation nondiagnostic due to possible artifact

C7-T1 Looks fine

FINDINGS-- THORACIC

Evaluation is limited at T2-3 and T4-5 -- the way I understand it is they couldn't magnity it enough to see the artifact clearly - I'm probably wrong.

There is a T1-2 hemangioma on the T11 vertabral body. A hemangioma is a benign tumor of blood vessels that typically occur as purplish/reddish elevated areas of tissue/skin. I cannot really comment on the rest of this paragraph as I don't understand it.

There is a small paracentral disc protrusion (herniation) at T5-6 and also at T6-7 and T7-8. Minor disc bulging at T8-9 thru T12-L1. There is a 1mm. cyc nodule on the thyroid lobe.

Everyone loses disc height, as that is a part of aging. Degenerative disc disease is what it's called. The discs dry out, and that causes the discs to flatten and bulge/herniate. That in turn causes the vertebra to "come closer together/lose disc height -- in short, we become shorter in height! I used to be 5'4" tall, and I'm now 5'2". Isn't that awful! But it's a fact of life, so don't worry about it. Some of us have it worse than others, unfortunately, and some of us have PAIN with it, while others just fly thru life with NO PAIN! DRAT THE LUCK!!!

Your foraminal narrowing is minimal, and you don't have to worry about it now. As long as it doesn't get any worse, you don't have to worry about it. Right now it's just fine.

I wish I understood myelomalacia, or I might be able to help you on the focal cord atrophy, but I can't remember for the life of me what it IS. If I find it amongst my notes, I'll be sure to let you know!!

As it stands, you will be an EXCELLENT candidate for the PAIN PUMP!!! I'm so glad that it worked for you in the trial! I tried it and it worked for me too, but I was too small. I had the SCS too, but it worked itself out of me. And since the pump is bigger than the SCS, I couldn't have the pump. Please let us know your progress after you get the pump, will you? I REALLY want to know how you're doing, okay? God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-30-2012)