View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the responses.

I am not sure why the medication/pain pump would NOT help the entire spine. I was told they could only help the worst area. So that is why they decided to put the catheter at T10 level.

But it was strange that while I had the temporary implant in my entire spine felt relief. While the midback/low back was the prime target the cervical area was getting secondary relief. I dont know if when I have the permanent implant done whether I will get the same results or not. Time will tell. But also I have peripheral neuropathy in both legs. I found that while I still felt the numbness it didn't seem as severe when the trial portion of the implant was being done.
Unfortunately after the trial was over it didnt take long before I went back to having some really rough days with pain.

As to the myelomalacia yes it concerns me too. My neurosurgeon was concerned about that and the focal cord atrophy which was all in the same area. But again with all considered surgery was not suggested because of risk factors.

But beyond that I am also concerned about the "SEVERE loss of disc height at C6/7"

The slight narrowing of the foramen and bone spurs I am sure are adding to the factors of the way I feel. Not sure what the doctors would recommend in doing. But I think everything in my case increases my pain leve.

I am thinking of a 2nd opinion. But it is a matter of who to use. About a year or so ago I wanted to see one of the top neurosurgeons in the area so I sent him my records at a prelimianry. He wouldnt even see me. Guess he figured he is not going to do surgery on me for whatever reasons so wouldnt even talk to me to discuss what my options are.

My pain doctor who is doing the implant thought I should be seen at John Hopkins or Hospital for Special Surgery in NY, but they are not on my plan so financially going there would be an issue.

When I see my pain doctor for the implant hopefully we will discuss the MRI results as well and I will get some feed back on what he thinks of the whole report.

What also concerns me is that while some of my pain will be controlled what can be done to stop the progressiosn of the issues. Not sure what the answer is or if I will even find an answer. But I can't give up hope.
pebblebeach2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (12-30-2012)