Thread: Benzodiazepines
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I want to second Wakey's advice about looking into vestibular rehabilitation. From the symptoms you're describing (especially the nausea from movement), it sounds like it could help.

I've gotten some mileage out of audiobooks myself. If you can use the computer just briefly, you can also search for podcasts on topics that interest you. Also, you can download free text-to-voice software that will allow you to highlight text and have it read back to you. Natural Reader is a good free one.

http://www.naturalreaders.com/

Text Aloud has much better voices but costs money:

http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/

As for your doctor who told you to work through the headaches, that is terrible advice; it is the exact opposite of what you should do. Any time you notice symptoms increasing or acting up, it's time to rest.

If you have the money, I'd recommend purchasing a weighted blanket (google it and purchase online). It has an inhibitory effect on the nervous system. When I get anxious and/or overstimulated, it helps me to settle down within minutes.

Like you, I've been restricted to a very narrow range of activity for a long time, though I'm gradually tolerating more. I understand very well how frustrating and depressing this is. I spent months sitting in the dark listening to audiobooks--and little else.

Hang in there. Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpshube View Post
Thanks Mark.

The injury occurred when I hit the back of my head on the ice while playing hockey in late October of this year [2012].

2.5 months after the incident, the headaches are beginning to subside, but I'm still suffering from cognitive deficits, and inability to concentrate, and I just feel different (this is perhaps the most disturbing symptom). As I mentioned in the OP, anxiety and depression have been severe. At times I feel so detached from my normal self. I'm having a hard time coping with this.

Sometimes, actually, I've felt almost 100%, but the littlest things will aggrivate symptoms. Minor disturbances, like walking or turning my head too quickly, for example, are apt to bring on a headache or dazed feeling, or make me nauseous. Is this normal? I've taken to walking on my toes to prevent this.

It seems that everything I do aggravates my symptoms. I've confined myself to a very narrow range of activity, and it's killing me. I've stopped most reading and computer use. No T.V. But it's been 2 months and I'm getting restless. I don't want to resign myself to this limited lifestyle. No more hockey--ok, fine. But man, I've got to go for a run, read a book, something... but I don't want to hurt myself, or make my condition worse. That's what seems to happen when I do any of these things. Really struggling, and I'd appreciate any support or guidance.

I'm taking supps (fish oil, Bcomplex, multi) and started meds (SSRI) for the anxiety. Books on tape have been a helpful, tolerable activity. Met with a Neurologist- he wasn't helpful. He actually told me that if I get a headache or other symptoms while performing an activity I should just ignore it and keep doing what I was doing. Is that wise advice?

I think I'll repost this comment in another thread to get some more general support. I hope that doesn't violate any forum etiquette.