View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schavarria View Post
I had a robotic thymectomy through three incisions on my right side under my arm. A fourth incision was for a chest tube. I was in the hospital 4 days when I was originally told a day or two. I agree that it's a no big deal surgery compared to the sternal option, but I was recovering at home for 2 weeks after the surgery and needed every day of it. My MG isn't as severe as yours. I just wanted to respond that perhaps the surgery and recovery may not be as simple and short as we all would like

Best wishes to you!
Susan
I did the minimally invasive option, as well. I was in the hospital 3 days and then recovered at home for a month. One thing I found was that even after I felt better, I still had very little stamina and needed the extra recovery time.

My surgeon told me that if he got inside and found a mass he would have to switch to a sternectomy, as he wasn't willing to drag the mass across my chest cavity. You may want a second opinion on whether this method is the best in your case (though I agree its the best in general). Dr. Burrows at University of Maryland performed my surgery.
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote