View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My biggest breakthrough 1 yr + after accident

Hello everyone, with the New Year comes reflections on struggles faced during the past year, and cautious optimisim for the new year. I find myself facing a constant battle of being content witht he progress I've made, and a sorrow for still not being the person I was before the accident(and may never be). So for 2013, I will do my best to accept the new me, and be happy for the blessings I have.

I wanted to share my biggest breakthrough to date in hopes that others may share the same success. I've done vestibular therapy, NUCCA chiro, acupuncture, been to countless Dr. visits/neuropysch test where I was told I was mentally weak and that my anxiety was causing my symptoms. Had my family, friends, wife say countless mean things that crushed my soul. It's been bleak and at times have given up hope.

I recently saw Dr. Wright, a neuro ophthalmologist in Chicago suburbs. I was diagnosed with convergence insufficiency. She said she has worked with lots of veterans who had TBI's and 85% or so had convergence issues. My vision is 20/20 but the way my eyes team and track is very poor. I was given glasses with a blue tint and noticed a huge improvement right away. The aim is for the glasses to retrain my eyes to how they are suppose to work. I am now able to work at long periods on the computer and go through my day relatively symptom free.

I know this may not help everyone, but the symptoms of convergence insufficiency are nearly identical to that of PCS(brain fog, eye strain, difficulty concentrating) and there is relief for this if indeed it is a convergence issue. Go to a neuro-ophthalmologist that will prescribe glasses with blue tints/prisms. It is expensive(around $700), but by far worth the cost.

May everyone have a great 2013.
todayistomorrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MiaVita2012 (01-01-2013), Mokey (01-01-2013), Theta Z (01-01-2013)