View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1101 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this board and i don't know where else to turn. I went for medical assistance and was told i had to be disabled, so i had to file for social security disability. I filed for it so i could go to the doctors, after filing and waiting i went completely downhill. I was turned downhill, after having surgery for bladder cancer. So i filed an appeal and was turned down again, now i filed an appeal and have to go the next step. Meanwhile my bills are racking up and found out i have myelomalacia of the cervical spine. I refiled for medical assistance again and received a letter stating that it usually takes 30 days but it has went to the boards committee and i am still waiting, this is almost 2 months. I was wondering if anybody knows about how long it takes to hear back from them? I am very desperate now!!!! Thanks so much....
I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble getting help from the government. I went through the same thing after having brain surgery two years ago. I got to the stage of a third appeal which was six months after I started the process of frustration. I finally got a lawyer who specializes in social security and disability cases. I finally won after getting the lawyer but it was over a year after I originally applied before I actually got any money. The lawyer didn't charge anything upfront and I only had to pay her if I won. When I did win I had to pay 25% of the winnings ( the big check you get at the beginning) to the lawyer but nothing to the lawyer after that. The 25% figure is predecided by the government. My husband and I both thought if we followed all the rules, we could get me some help. My advice is find yourself a good lawyer, it will speed up the process and take a lot of stress off you. I was told all kinds of stupid stuff by the government about what there so called experts had determined. Like I could still work when I couldn't drive (had brain surgery morons) and then suffer from seizures due to the 20 brain tumors I still have. But all thought was going to cure itself by May 2011. Try not to get too discouraged it's not you it's just the way the government works. I highly suggest finding a good disability lawyer, if I could go back and do things all over again I would do that as soon as I got home from the hospital.
Kirstine Chvala is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote