View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Numb Butt & Pain

Hoping for some suggestions here...

52 yo female here with tailbone pain that started a year ago (extreme pain upon getting up from a sitting position). The tailbone pain was then accompanied by a permanent painful & numb butt/upper hamstring and also pain/tingling in feet (both sides). I have a sit-down job and am having trouble concentrating due to the pain. My uneducated guess at the cause is that I injured myself from over-training at cycling and/or running (I was a beginner triathlete). I have had 'normal' lumbar and cervical MRI's and also a normal brain MRI (a neurologist said I might have MS). I've had physical therapy (including myofasical release) with no relief. My general Doc said piriformis syndrome, but my pt/chiro/myofasical guy said that is usually just on one side (frustrating when they don't agree on diagnosis). I went to a pain mgt doc who said 'do this stretch' (inside I laughed because I had been doing every stretch known to mankind). After prodding by me, he agreed to do a sacrum lidocaine injection as a diagnostic. I got relief for a few hours from the direct tailbone pain, but no relief at all for the butt/feet numbness & pain. The general instability is now causing what I think is more typical 'sciatica' pain down my left hip and IT band. My general Doc will not give me anything for the pain, although I am to the point of asking again.

I guess my question to anyone who has had similar issues, is should I seek out someone who can do a CT-guided steroid injection? Into the piriformis? Or where? Is this not a common thing that pain docs do because any dr I mention the CT-guided injections just look at me like they don't know what I'm talking about. I have been to 4 different drs (1 neurologist, 2 orthopedic surgeons, a different physical therapist) who give me absolutely nothing to do or try (since the MRI's are 'normal'). My pt/chiro/myofasical has been the most helpful, but even he admits that he is at a loss of what to try next.

Would appreciate your advice so much.
AGoodwin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (01-16-2013)