View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Yes...chronic yo-yo blood pressure

A blood pressure spike of 230/160 is what led to my MS diagnosis. Just a few months ago it dropped to 68/45. I have been on/off BP meds since I was a teenager (in 40's now)..now it makes sense. Last 6 yrs I have had all these hospitalizations & test because BP like that has to be heart related....wrong. A year and a half ago they finally figured out my erratic BP and chronic insomnia (9 months of sleeping 2-3 hrs a night- no RLS or sleep apnea) was due to MS. My neurologist and family doctor said my symptoms were so atypical that is why it was missed all these years. I was just about to the point where I thought I was a hypochondriac. Had my normal family doctor not been on vacation and I followed up with the partner covering, I probably would never have been diagnosed properly. She took the time to listen and test, not just change a BP medication. Odd thing, she found it because the BP, after the previous week's spike, was 118/80 and I had been dizzy and I described words sliding together while reading- dizzy is usually low BP and headaches are high BP. I've never had a headache when my BP was stroke level, and when it is low I haven't been dizzy. One thing about MS is you can't compare yourself with others and you have to trust when your body is telling you that something is off.
Mcsisters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ashschoen (09-02-2014), Debbie D (01-03-2013), dmplaura (01-05-2013), ewizabeth (01-02-2013), Mariel (01-06-2013), SallyC (01-02-2013)