View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveandTrust View Post
Oh, I did want to mention as well that my range of motion is great. I can easily lift my arms over my head and carefully up behind my back. Out to the side is harder and I can make about a 120 degree angle that way. I would be willing to post a picture of my incision if anyone is interested as it is a transsternal approach. I don't want to gross anyone out there.
I did find out why they cracked the sternum. Apparently, they life it up a bit so they can get the last little bit of rib out from the back and since they were doing both sides at once it needed to be cut. I have pain while deep breathing but only a little. No worse than when I cracked a rib coughing during pneumonia. I can do the blowing exercise thingy with ease (inhaling over 3000 cc's of air) and I could when I'm supposed to without using a pillow because it's just not that necessary. I do have a high pain tolerance, but I can honestly say that I'm quite comfortable.
Sounds like you are doing great. I would be interested in the incision picture (just curious I guess). And am also very amazed at how well your breathing is doing since you had the lung issues. Keep it up, but don't over do it.
TellerMomof3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote