View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A newly diagnosed friend - questions

Hello,
I am new here and i am posting for a friend. I also have a chronic illenss and have learned how useful these forums are, she does not recognize it yet. First of all let me thank you very much for being so active and so clear. We have learned a lot in the last day just from reading all the posts. Particularly thank you to alice on the alien's story!

My main question is about consequences of anesthesia and surgery.
Here is my friend medical history:
Probable myasthenia for at least 4 years now, she is 38
Came afte birth pf second child
Never confirmed by tests although various indications. Doctors keep saying it's not myasthenia but don't offer alternatives either, someone suspected cfs
Main symptoms have been fatigue, a leg that does not move properly, at worst impossibility to climb even one stair, minor ocular symptoms on one eye at the very beginning
She has been treated with steroids in hospital when she was at her worst, then recovered and the last year or so had been relatively good.

Two days ago she had an emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy causing extensive loss of blood. She had normAl anesthesia and was in respiratory failure after surgery so she had to stay in the icu intubated for about 12 hours.

Now she is in a normal ward and feels decently although extremely weak. Doctors have said her reaction was typical of myasthenia and so now i don't think there is any doubt she has it.

What should she expect now in terms of recovery? Will this incident make her illness progress and get worse. She also had a transfusion with 1,5 litre of blood lost so she was almost dying.
Also is there a risk shemight have another respiratory crisis as the days go by?
She is given morphine, is that makinng things worse?

Sorry for so many questions but iam worried....
Thank you!!
Suzanne13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote