View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Thumbs up National Sleep Day

Well I definitely honored it last night.

i even missed The Closer last night... and bones, although bones was a repeat. i slept a total of 9 hours. i was asleep by 8pm and up at 7am. i woke up about midnight though, took my meds and stayed awake for a couple hours. so total, 4 hrs + 5 hrs...

i have had migraines past two days, and they seem to make me real tired. also getting extra sleep seems to help them go away. after two days of it i am completely migraine free today, and have all the blinds up - not even light and sound sensitve.

i have noticed the agitation too.

----------
i read two separate studies in an "older" neurology text that reported similar findings:

one study was on cats - their brain dynamics are similar to humans in many regards. this study showed activation of the catecholamine system after sleep deprivation. behaviorally, the cats became hyperactive. (FYI the primary catecholamines are the neurotransmitters epinephrine (a.ka. adrenaline), norepinephrine (a.ka. noradrenaline), and dopamine.)

another was on rats - this study was more behaviorally based. sleep deprivation appeared to increase activity and in particular "food-seeking behavior" in rats.

i do not remember the book i'm afraid, not even its author. i had borrowed it from the library.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (01-04-2013), Brokenfriend (01-04-2013), butterfly11 (01-04-2013), katmae (01-05-2013), Mari (01-04-2013)