View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Suzanne, welcome to this wonderful group of people who are a fountain of information.

I was diagnosed with MG about 3 1/2 years ago and was told there are several indicators of the illness - problems with ocular muscles, swallowing, lung function, lower body weakness or generalized myastenia. I have generalized myastenia although my main problems are ocular and lower body weakness.

I have been told that I can't be given anesthesia because like your friend my lungs will stop working correctly. I did have emergency colon repair surgery not long after my diagnosis and they had a hard time getting my lungs to function afterward. As a result of the colon repair I had an ostomy bag for two months. When the time came to remove the bag they had to numb my body from just under my breast down to my legs with a spinal block.

So this illness does effect what medical procedures that can be performed. You have to make sure your doctor knows everything about your medical history. And as I discovered a lot of doctors do not know enough about these things, so your neurologist should be involved in any possible medical procedure.

I'm by no means an expert on this illness, just wanted to let you know what my experience has been.

Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (01-04-2013)