View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks, Annie. As always, you're a fount of good ideas.

I am leary of the radiation. I also know that killing the thyroid with radiation puts the eyes at risk: as the thyroid dies, it releases all the stored-up antibodies, which tend to collect behind the eyes, causing double vision. Sounds like a risk an MGer shouldn't take, doesn't it! Frankly, I'm trying to think of justifications for not getting the radiation, because I can't face a year of thyroid unsettled-ness! I could have a thyroidectomy and avoid the radiation, but general anesthesia is also something I should avoid if I can help it.

The reason I think I'm going hyper is that I've had a very familiar first sign: twitches of my right wrist, and a mild tremor (and no, I'm not on Mestinon). I actually have the pill-rolling tremor associated with Parkinson's, but with me, it's always been associated with hyperthyroidism. Boy oh boy, is this familiar. In the past, when I have had this symptom, my thyroid labs have always confirmed that I'm going hyper. My MG is actually pretty stable.

Female hormones, oi oi oi. Those sure do throw my MG around. I'm not on any hormones, no birth control or supplements or anything like that. I'm 46 and show no signs of menopause, though who knows. Women in my family go very, very late.

Thanks for your ideas, and thanks for discussing it with me. I think these things through much more carefully when I'm trying to explain them. For now, I think I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Abby, I'm no expert on this, so I agree that seeking out a 2nd opinion from another endo might be a good idea.

Your immune system is already suppressed. If you add radiation to that, you're at an increased risk for cancer.

I think it's important to not assume it's your thyroid that is the issue. Can your primary doctor do an overall evaluation of your health to make sure something else is not making you weaker? Perhaps a check of your adrenal function?

It's really a conundrum. Is it enough to choose the lesser evil or can you stick with the status quo?

You know how one change in the hormone system can affect another? Could it be suppression of your female hormones or others that is making your thyroid worse? The endocrine system is altered by immunosuppression too.

I hope you can figure all of this out. It must be very hard to face this again. I'm really sorry you have to.

Annie
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote