View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Former member, new username, 2nd concussion

Good morning everyone,

A couple of years ago I would post here and haven't been around in a long time, so I have a new username and another concussion story

A little background info- In October 2010, I had my first concussion. I sat down on my couch and when I leaned back I smacked my head on a shelf behind my couch. No loss of consciousness, but little did I know my long journey with PCS was about to begin. It took me the better part of a year to recover and achieve some level or normalcy, yet it was a "new" normal. I struggled with the depression and anxiety that comes along with pcs. It took me months to be able to find a mix of therapy, nutrition, supportive people to be able to cope and begin to recover.

The 2nd year I spent working on my physical & emotional well-being. A daily process indeed. I experienced many wonderful life events as well as trying ones. It was nice to be somewhat back in a groove and I very rarely took it for granted.

Fast forward to Christmas 2012 - just 11 days ago. I reached down to put my camera away (the case was stowed anyway behind our guest's couch). When I bent down, I misjudged and smacked my left eyebrow/sinus area on the top part of the couch, which was solid wood. OUCH!! It hurt a lot but I honestly didn't think too much of it, iced it and went on with the evening.

Next morning all of the old "cast of characters" arrived - stabbing headache, nausea, dizziness, exhaustion, as well as anxiety. Knowing that treating the symptoms is the first order of business, that's what I began to do. As the days passed, I felt worse and worse and that gut instinct told me this was another concussion.

Earlier this week, I decided to get checked out. Head CT was normal and I was once again diagnosed with mild concussion. What is different for me this time is more intense vertigo, as well as concerns with vision on the left side. I can "see" out of the eye, but something feels off, very wavy. Can't watch much TV at all. Noise and sound sensitivity are ramped up. Feels like a constant migraine. Dr said initial eye exam appears normal but is sending me for an eval with an eye dr.

To those folks who have concussed themselves more than once, do you have any words of wisdom? I know this is going to be slow going and that I have to take it one day at a time. The increased visual & vertigo symptoms do not help anixety levels....I think I'm just in shock that this has happened once again.

Many thanks for letting me share my story. Thinking of investing in a helmet and suit of armor
musiclover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
v-lo (01-05-2013)