View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Many people have insulin resistance. The occurs before blood sugars get really elevated, and show up on testing.

I believe the lipoic acid helps with this aspect of blood sugar control...enabling the cells to use glucose better. So in that way it is not really only for diabetics.

B1 is not needed if you take benfotiamine.

There are two basic ways to attack PN...
1) is to replace depleted or lost nutrients

2) is to support mitochondrial functions when they are damaged.

The support nutrients for mito damage are lipoic acid, acetyl carnitine, and CoQ-10. Also biotin helps, because lipoic acid takes up the transporter for biotin and B5, so taking some biotin opposite times from the lipoic acid can help. Magnesium also helps with membrane functions of the mitochondria.

Also some fish oil helps, with inflammation.

Most people need several months to heal, when nutrients are used. It took time to get where you are, and it will therefore take some time to heal up.
MrsD as always Thank You for your response.
I was told Im glucose Intolerant, in fact I didnt do well on my 2 hr GTT, my result was 167. Endo said normal was below 140 at 2nd hour.. So, I am considered "pre-diabetic". I beliveved the neuropathy, which started with burning feet, pins and needles and tingling in my legs was from the pre-d, at that time my A1c was 5.7. All my Doctors includin Endo said My "diabetes" was not bad enough to cause this kind of nerve damage. The neuropathy progressed to my arms , hands, face and mouth within 2 years while I was maintaining good sugar control. Soo needless to say I was Dx with pred and neuropathy at the same time, go figure!! ( guess well never know how high my post meal sugar spikes were before I was dx with pred) BUT meanwhile they say the pred and neuropathy are not related..talk about being confused and frustrating..sorry had to vent.

I use Doctor's Best R Lipoic Acid. The facts label says there are 150 mcg of D-Biotin per serving (.15 mgs doesnt sound like much right? so why does the mfgr bother to put 150mcgs in with the RLA?). I thought it would be enough. Do you believe I should be taking more Biotin or a diff kind? Oh, and I should have written benfotiamine instead of B1, that is what Im taking. Is Mitochondrial function damaged in people with SNN do you know, or does this happen only to diabetics? You didnt mention the methylcobalamin , Im taken 2mgs per day. Does this help with neuropathy? I was getting 4mgs pday with metanx. but after 4 weeks I decided to cut back to 2mgs. I cut back on the methylfolate from 3 mgs (metanx) to 800mgs as you suggested.
I bought the A L carnitine 100mgs (to take with the RLA) but I havent been able to take it, It makes me jittery. Im still only on 50mgs of the R Lipoic acid. Im slowing tryn to get to 100 of RLA. Im so sensitive to everything, so frustrating.
What is B5, Should I add B5 and CoQ-10 to my "cocktail" for small nerve neuropathic pain? Are these pills (vits) for "replacing lost or depleted nutrients" for diabetics and insulin resist only or does one take them even if there bloodwork shows vitamin levels are within "normal range" for other kinds of neuropathy?
Sorry for all the questions, it all gets so confusing. I feel fortunate to have a place to come too. As you probably already know doctors will not talk about this kind of stuff ..Thank you so much...

Last edited by Marie33; 01-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Marie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (01-07-2013)