View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There has been recent information about the transporter for biotin, lipoic acid and B5 published on the net. It is not cast in stone but I do think it is valid. They all share this transporter which is a peptide that binds each and carries it around.

Because lipoic acid is used in the body, in very small amounts, and same with biotin, there is not much of this transporter made.

The doses we take of lipoic acid are huge in comparison, so expect the other nutrients to not get transported as necessary.
I take 10 MILLIGRAMs of Biotin a day, at night, for this reason.
I take 100mg of Doctor's best R-lipoic stablized...early in the day. There are studies of low biotin with ALA...but putting it in the same capsule seems rather useless to me.

Not everything you see on supplement labels is 100% accurate. In fact B12 has NO recommendations to take on empty stomach except for one research article I found! Studies on micrograms of digoxin and thyroid hormone have found empty stomach essential also for their absorption....so I recommend empty stomach for the B12. The paper I have on the B12 thread states that empty stomach was used for the absorption data that was collected. That is the only published source I have found...and I think it is very very important.

So yes, you would find lipoic acid helpful.

B5 is not typically lost in the body and is very plentiful in many foods, so I don't find anything about it for PN in studies. If you want to use it, fine. It is not harmful in somewhat larger doses.

Yes, the new research is suggesting mito damage for some sensory neuropathies. Some of this comes from AIDs patients, who get damage from the drugs they take.
It might turn out that MOST of PNs are mito damage. We'll have to see how that turns out, however. Some drugs damage DNA and that is another topic. (fluoroquinolones are in that category). Acetyl carnitine is recommended to prevent some Chemo therapy damage as well. So it is a good idea for us. Many PNs are environmental damage, and some are metabolic, and people can have both, you know?

The ranges we have for vitamins and minerals are very outdated, and really most are done on serum levels. Some integrative doctors test INTRAcellular levels, to see what is really going on. Levels in the serum (liquid portion of the blood) are not doing ANYTHING...they are only moving around, or on their way to being excreted.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (01-07-2013)