View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ah I can relate to you. I had two concussions last year, about six months apart. I've had a recent flareup of symptoms and I too am in a state of "I thought I was done with this?!" shock. From my experience, the first one was really intense but the second was not as bad when it came to lasting, intense symptoms. The first was crippling but the second more slowed me down than brought my life to a screeching halt.

For the second one, I knew within a matter of seconds/minutes from when I hit my head that I had a concussion. I learned that "signature" feeling of a concussion and recognized it when it came back. I can't quite describe the "signature" since it's a complex feeling in the way a perfume is a complex smell (you might not be able to describe everything you smell in a perfume, but once you learn it, you can usually recognize it right away, even years later.)

I think part of why the second concussion wasn't as bad was because I already had months of practice of dealing with symptoms and I was more relaxed in a way. I didn't fight my symptoms as much and I was less disturbed by them so it was easier to go with the flow and let the concussion go at it's own pace.

I'm not sure what words of wisdom to give other than try to apply what you learned last time to your experience this time to make it less frightening. Try to do your best to *choose* to hold to the positive, regardless of how you feel (physically or emotionally!) It's hard to muster that mental fortitude with PCS but even small waves can turn a big boat when they beat on the helm day after day.

If nothing else, remember you're not alone! People around you may not understand but there are those out there who do and it can be comforting just to remind yourself that you're alone in the world of PCS
v-lo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
musiclover (01-05-2013)