View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Domingmak,

My answers are in BOLD.

1. The "beginnings" of dry socket - How long does this last? I would assume Friday (12/28) was the beginning. This is when the pain began. By Monday (12/31) the pain was basically still the same. How long does it take for dry socket to reach peak pain? Do I have to worry about this getting way more painful?

DRY SOCKETS USUALLY SHOW SYMPTOMS BY THE 3RD TO 4TH DAY POST OP EXTRACTION. THE PAIN CAN BE SEVERE FOR SEVERAL DAYS IF NOT TREATED.

2. This packing that the dentist put in yesterday (1/2/13 at 1pm) - How long am I supposed to keep it in there? It seems to be dissolving and the top few layers have fell out. I dont want to get an infection. Their office is closed until next Monday (I have an appointment that day) - should I try to keep it in that long or will I get an infection?

THE PACKING SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED BY THE PATIENT. IT DISSOLVES OR FALLS OUT ON ITS OWN. THE LONGER IT CAN STAY IN, THE BETTER. SOMETIMES IT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED BY THE DENTIST 2-4 TIMES OVER A ONE TO TWO WEEK PERIOD... DEPENDS ON THE SEVERITY OF THE CONDITION.

3. Does this clove oil/gauze packing hinder or help the granulation process? Being as that I am not in agonizing pain, should I forgo the packings and just ride it out? I am under the impression (and please, correct me if I am wrong) that the packing is only for pain relief. Does it actually do anything to help heal my gums?

THE MEDICATED PACKING REDUCES PAIN BECAUSE IT AIDS IN THE HEALING PROCESS. WHEN A DRY SOCKET OCCURS THIS MEANS THAT THERE WAS A DISTURBANCE WITH THE BLOOD CLOT AND THE BONE BECAME EXPOSED. IF THE BONE STAYS DRY THE AREA WILL NOT HEAL PROPERLY. SO IT DOES NEED TO BE EVALUATED EVERY FEW DAYS TO MAKE SURE IT IS HEALING.

4. The dentist prescribed me yet another round of Clindamycin "as a precaution." Because my wisdom tooth was infected and impacted, I was already on antibiotics - I just finished the last one Tuesday (1/1/13). And I had to take them in November too. Due to an anaphylectic (sp?) reaction I had to an antibiotic when I was younger, I get severe panic attacks when I have to take antibiotics. If there is no infection (confirmed by dentist) do I REALLY need to take another round of Clindamycin? It will be my 3rd one in 6 weeks and I dont want to go through the anxiety again, or deal with potential stomach issues.

I UNDERSTAND YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT TAKING THE ANTIBIOTIC. DENTISTS TEND TO GIVE THESE OUT LIKE CANDY. HOWEVER, DEPENDING ON THE INITIAL INFECTION AND THE SEVERITY OF THE DRY SOCKET, YOU MAY NEED TO TAKE IT DURING THE INITIAL HEALING PHASE.

ARE YOU TAKING A PROBIOTIC? IT IS IMPERATIVE TO SUPPLEMENT WITH ONE DURING AND AFTER TAKING AN ANTIBIOTIC TO HELP REDUCE THE LIKELIHOOD OF INTESTINAL UPHEAVAL THAT CAN OCCUR WITH ANTIBIOTICS. EATING YOGURT IS NOT ADEQUATE DUE TO THE LACK OF LIVE BACTERIA IN IT AFTER PROCESSING ... IT NEEDS TO BE IN SUPPLEMENTAL FORM.

WHEN YOU SEE YOUR DENTIST, ASK IF THERE IS INFECTION PRESENT. TELL HIM YOU'RE RELUCTANT TO TAKE ANOTHER ANTIBIOTIC UNLESS NECESSARY.

TRY NOT TO LET THIS WORRY YOU. I KNOW IT CAN BE A BIT SCARY... YOU WILL BE OKAY

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON HOW YOU'RE DOING.
BRYANNA
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote