View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default the ring » Theatre department rallies around much-loved instructor living with ALS

the ring » Theatre department rallies around much-loved instructor living with ALS
Theatre department rallies around much-loved instructor living with ALS

Vukovic standing in front of an original WWII Spitfire during filming of “Piece of Cake,” a 1988 Masterpiece Theatre production.
By Adrienne Holierhoek

Actor, director, producer and UVic theatre department instructor Ned Vukovic has worked with the best in the business, from Shirley MacLaine, Peter O’Toole and Peter Ustinov to Jon Voight. This internationally recognized actor and in-demand dialect coach has an extensive list of acting credits for stage, television and film, including seven Academy Award-winners. He was a member of both the Royal Shakespeare Company and Royal National Theatre.

But Vukovic is known for giving this same level of professional coaching to his students. “I bring as much care with my students as I do with the professionals—whether a first-year, or Ted Danson—I always give my best effort,” says Vukovic. Since coming to UVic in 2004, he has taught all the first-year acting classes and either directed or was the dialect coach for an unprecedented nine of the 15 main-stage productions. “I feel I can teach almost any accent to any actor,” says Vukovic.

Vukovic is also living with and fighting ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. ALS is a debilitating neurological disorder that affects control of voluntary muscles in the limbs, as well as speech, and leaves the five senses and mental capacity untouched. Vukovic now uses a scooter and a walker to get around and hopes to enlist the help of a computer speech program to assist his communication.

Recently, the students, faculty and staff at the theatre department came together to pay tribute to their colleague and instructor and help raise funds for the increased costs of living with the disease. “Ned’s Night,” a surprise event held March 30 at the Phoenix Theatre, featured student and faculty performances with tributes to Vukovic’s career. Together with a silent auction supported by many members of the local business and arts community, the event raised over $8,000.

“It was a bit of an emotional evening, but a great feeling,” says Vukovic. “One of the few benefits of having this disease is that people are telling me now how much I have meant to them, how much I have helped them. I do feel I’ve made an impact. If I was 70 years old, I would say this is the way to go! Unfortunately, I’m only 52, but I feel lucky to live my life.”

Vukovic will continue to teach first-year students this fall. Another benefit event will be held on June 24 at Theatre Passe Muraille in Toronto. For more information visit nedvukovic.com
http://ring.uvic.ca/07may03/theatre.html

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote