View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

AA has been great to me for the 31 days that I stayed sober. I got a sponsor, I became pretty active and shared nearly every meeting, I met a bunch of people that just wanted to be there for me. All of these things felt great. However, after my last meeting, my sponsor and another member were asking about my story. I started off with pretty much the same story that I have in the first three paragraphs of this OP. Although nearly every other sentence the guys were trying to finish my sentences because they though my story was 10x worse than it was.

When I started AA I drank heavy and hard avoiding my TBI. I didn't know how to cope and my friends and family had either dismissed my injuries or were tired of hearing about them. So I drank to forget them. My ten year anniversary of the car wreck that devastated my life is in late January as is my two year sobriety date.

My first sponsor was nuts. I mean nuts. She took my inventory ie questions she had no business asking and then inferred that I was lying. This continued on for a while and I finally had to stand up and decide that my sobriety was important enough to chose it over drinking...which is what I would have done had I stayed with her. I haven't had a sponsor since. But I do attend AA meetings once or twice a week.

So I guess, my point is that yes, some people do act inappropriately in AA. All that means is that you find people who do support you, who don't and won't take your inventory and above all, find a new sponsor. Try different meetings. Above all, cherish your sobriety. Chances are if AA has helped you immesureably, you may very well be an alcoholic