View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrae View Post
Hi
It may not seem like it now, but you WILL land a medical team who will tend to you properly.
:

Thankfully, it seems like on the RSD board here, most of us who have been dealing with chronic pain from RSD have eventually found a supportive medical practitioner/team to help us manage our symptoms.

For me, it took YEARS to find the support I needed.

Right now, things are managable for me. That could change in an instant.....my neurologist, who prescribes my meds, has had some "issues" with the state. I have to pay cash for prescriptions as my health insurance won't cover meds from this doctor. That might not sound like the ideal situation, because it isn't, but at least I have SOME control over the RSD monster right now.....and more importantly, I KNOW there is some help out there. Even if my current situation changes, I hope that I won't again have to suffer the desperation and despondency of not feeling hopeful about the future.

Emily.....unfortunately, you probably won't find help as quickly as you would like to......or as quickly as we would all hope for you. I "get" not wanting to wait for relief. The medical "system" is NOT acceptable in the treatment of those of us with chronic pain. That needs to change.

What also needs to change is how we look at our participation in our treatment plan. You mentioned that you are still working. There are several people on the RSD board here who are working fulltime. Many of us have become disabled because of RSD. Continuing to work AND attaining an acceptable level of comfort MIGHT not be a realistic goal for you. It's a goal to work towards, and hopefully your ideal medical team will support you with that, but you can't demand that it happen that way. It just might not be possible for you. You have to learn to set realistic goals. Part of that is figuring out what you WANT to do vs what you HAVE to do. That housework that set you up for that pain flare 12/31 ? That didn't HAVE to be done.....or at least not by you.

Yes, I get that your bf isn't stepping up to take care of the house. Maybe he will adjust when he realizes either he has to do it or it won't get done. Maybe he won't. A dirtier than you would like it to be kitchen floor won't kill you. If you know that you aren't getting enough meds or enough relief from the meds you do have, in addition to trying to find a doc who will listen, you have to listen to your body. If you know that your pain is a 5/10, but if you force yourself to clean that floor it will be a 9/10.....you need to decide which you want more, a clean floor or pain that is 9/10. When I said I have some degree of control over my pain now, that doesn't mean I can wash the kitchen floor with no pain or no horrific pain.......It means that I've learned to live with a dirty kitchen floor unless it's the once a year that my husband decides to clean it. Yes, once a year. Yes, that's gross. No, I don't invite company over. My pain isn't a 9/10 though !

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote