View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacheysncream View Post
Then it floods back like a monster pinning me down, reminding me I am not good enough.
Nothing to do with not being 'good enough' - if you had broken your leg playing football you wouldn't be blaming the fact that you couldn't do things on not being 'good enough', it would just be because there are certain things you can't do with a broken leg. An injured brain is no different in that respect, it doesn't make you less valuable as a person, it just limits your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacheysncream View Post
How do you cope with accepting your life has changed forever, knowing that you probably will never get back to the life you used to lead?
I would argue that it's way too early for you to be thinking that your life is 'probably' permanently changed to the extent that you seem to be thinking it is. At six months after my injury I was in a similar sorry state. Now I feel great. Recovery can take a while.

In terms of getting back to playing football, though, I would strongly argue against it. I ignored a number of football impacts which required increasingly less force to concuss me, and culminated in me losing a year of my life to PCS. It was an important part of my life, and giving it up was a great shame, but there's no way to play football without hitting your head; even if you duck headers, you will still have collisions. This is a contact sport, and sooner or later you'll be back to square one, or worse.

There are plenty of rewarding and fulfilling things to do other than football. I've gotten really into singing since I got better - the performance aspect gives me the adrenaline rush I used to get from a goal or tackle. There must be other stuff you are interested in and think you might be good at. Think of it as an opportunity - I've discovered I'm better at singing than I was at football.

There's a whole world of stuff to do which doesn't involve hitting your head

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (01-06-2013), peacheysncream (01-09-2013)