Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been reading posts on this site for the last 3 weeks when my insomnia and high pain kick in and have finally decided to post about how my diagnosis of CRPS came about.
I had 6 ankle/foot surgeries (same leg) in about a 12 year time span, The last surgery was a double arthrodesis. Did fine for about 5 years, then fell off the walkway to my house ( only 2" tall) and really twisted my ankle. Had the usual x-rays, MRI scans, in a boot for 6 wks, casted for 8 wks, still not healing.
I was then sent to a trauma surgeon who then told me I was in BIG trouble. Oh Yea ! When all was said and done, I went in to surgery#7 for 7+ hours, had 13 screws, 8 fractures, 5 bone fusions and now a triple arthrodesis.
Now I have no wt bearing for 16 wks, went in to get cast removed, bones not healing, 4 more weeks in cast. After that time he took the cast off and I started PT. Only allowed to WT bear in the pool. Well I spent 53 weeks in therapy, at the end I could wt bear/walk for 15 mins max with crutches. Next 3 visits to surgeon no change, x-rays a tiny bit better, the fusions did take well. So now I can walk 10 ft without crutches but need things to balance against, since I have no balance at all.
My surgeon sends me to an Anesthesia pain Dr. 4 weeks ago, after a physical and review of all tests, diagnosed with CRPS. I have had 3 lumbar sympathetic nerve blocks, and the 3rd block was a breakthru, 15 mins later you could see my blue foot actually get pink and instantly warmer.
So, where I stand( well no, actually sit in my wheelchair) I will have the nerve blocks once a week for now and started on Lyrica 300 mg day and have had good results with the nerve pain and burning. Unfortunately the deep i call it dark pain is still present, even with Tramadol 6x a day. So I am going to ask Dr about meds for the break thru pain. He wants to start PT again while I have the nerve blocks so that will probably start next week, My BIG concern now is that my left knee is now getting really stiff and if I flex to much painful, concerned that the CRPS is creeping up. So now for the past 18months I have been dependent on my wheelchair for any activities outside the house, and am very fortunate that I can get out of the house of course usually for Dr appointments.
Sorry for such a long explanation but this is my story.
Wibley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CRPSsongbird (01-08-2013)