View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stos2 View Post
Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried getting off Gabapentin/ neurontin and lowering the dose to taper it off and finally being able to leave it?
I was on 1800 mg a day and I started lowering it gradually over a couple months, but the minute I lowered my dose to 400 mg, it has been really hard.
I am having withdrawal symptoms like severe itching specially arms and legs and I can't resist scratching and digging my nails in and hitting lows in my mood till I take the next dose and symptoms dissappear for a a few hours. (I had the same problem when I was trying to get off lyrica since it didn't suit me and things improved when they put me back on neurontin.)
I think the nerves are so used to the high dose of gaba, they don't want to let go. Does that make sense??
I have tried all forms of topical creams and prescription cortisone applications but nothing seems to help.
Any suggestions would greatly help. Any natural remedies? Anything that has helped you ? Tia
I successfully got off of Neurontin a few months prior to surgery but I was on 600 mg and I went cold turkey. I don't recall having any withdrawal symptoms but everyone's body is different. My body had just become so used to it that it wasn't even helping me at that point. Now I am on it again but again on 600 mg. Maybe you should try to speak with your doctor about this?
parbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stos2 (01-07-2013)