View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Things I never thought I'd be able to do while recovering from bilateral first rib resection surgery that I'm capable of...

Shaving my armpits (been doing it since the day after surgery)
Typing on the computer- easy ever since getting the pain ball out.
Washing my hair- tricky, but doable.
Putting on a bra (was told to wear one to minimize the scaring of a transsternal incision)

Just thought I'd post a couple examples so those looking at having surgery can prepare. Both of my arms were affected by surgery and I am able to do many things! That doesn't mean that it will be the same for everyone but I know that, personally, I'd like to be able to prepare for everything because if I can shave my armpits, that's definitely going to happen.
So for those of you going into surgery and getting ready to pack your bags... I recommend bringing things that will make you feel better about yourself (for me, it was hygiene stuff) and you may be surprised what you're able to use. I also recommend bring (if you're a woman) vaginal wipes because bed pans are yucky and if you can't shower while having a chest tube it's nice to feel fresh, very good quality shampoo and conditioner so someone else can easily brush/wash your hair with minimal tangles, body WASH so it can be put on a loofa, a loofa on a stick, bring something to get hospital sticky stuff off of you- it was driving me crazy and I had nothing, your own toothbrush and toothpaste because their stuff is crappy and falls apart in your mouth, your own slippers that slip on so- hospital socks never fit right and are hard to get on by yourself, a razor, and if you have silky pajamas- that makes life so much easier to get in and out of bed on your own when you're ready.
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote