View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello all. I have been reading up on b-12 and came across this forum. The advice and information in this thread is very helpful.

I have been feeling unusually weak of late- not tired or sleepy, but like I have no energy reserves to muster. Suspecting it may be b-12, I had a blood test and my b12 was reported as "normal" - 270.
Many years ago, I had issues with much lower b-12 (40) and had the usual treatment of injections. This was very unpleasant and hard on my body, and I would like to avoid it this time. I cannot remember exactly what it got up to after the injections, but I'd guess somewhere around 600-800.
I am optimistic that it took this long (7 years) after the injections for my b12 to become low again. I am hoping this means when I get it up where it should be with treatment, I can maintain it at a healthy level.

Although my level is reported as normal, I have read here and elsewhere that just because a doctor says it's in the normal level, does not mean it's enough for an individual.

As I do not want to have injections again in the future, I plan to take methylcobalamin drops daily. I do not want to overpower my body by taking a high dose, but would prefer to build up if necessary. Would taking 50-100mcg drops per day be enough, or is that more of a maintenance dose once my levels are higher?
My hesitancy is due to the high dosage injections I had causing bad skin reactions, which I have also experienced when taking high dose vitamins orally.

I'm not taking any prescription medication, and as far as I know, I have low levels as I do not get b12 from my diet.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the matter.
m777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote