Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by m777 View Post
Hello all. I have been reading up on b-12 and came across this forum. The advice and information in this thread is very helpful.

I have been feeling unusually weak of late- not tired or sleepy, but like I have no energy reserves to muster. Suspecting it may be b-12, I had a blood test and my b12 was reported as "normal" - 270.
Many years ago, I had issues with much lower b-12 (40) and had the usual treatment of injections. This was very unpleasant and hard on my body, and I would like to avoid it this time. I cannot remember exactly what it got up to after the injections, but I'd guess somewhere around 600-800.
I am optimistic that it took this long (7 years) after the injections for my b12 to become low again. I am hoping this means when I get it up where it should be with treatment, I can maintain it at a healthy level.

Although my level is reported as normal, I have read here and elsewhere that just because a doctor says it's in the normal level, does not mean it's enough for an individual.

As I do not want to have injections again in the future, I plan to take methylcobalamin drops daily. I do not want to overpower my body by taking a high dose, but would prefer to build up if necessary. Would taking 50-100mcg drops per day be enough, or is that more of a maintenance dose once my levels are higher?
My hesitancy is due to the high dosage injections I had causing bad skin reactions, which I have also experienced when taking high dose vitamins orally.

I'm not taking any prescription medication, and as far as I know, I have low levels as I do not get b12 from my diet.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the matter.
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

The liver will store B12 during available times and when you
don't have a source this may last up to 5 yrs or so.
We evolved this because we as hunter/gatherers had periods of famine where food was scant.

You should be at 400 US units (the number will be different in some other countries.)

Studies show that sublingual and oral give the same results.
Studies also show that from 1000mcg of B12, about 13mcg are absorbed by the body. So only 1% gets in. But since 2-5mcg are the RDA, it is still enough.

People who are very low, really should take 5000mcg daily for 3 months, and then get retested. This is because the liver will scoop up much of the dose to replenish its levels, and also the CNS fluid will soak up B12 for the brain and spinal cord. Once you are at a good level, and we here keep ours at about 1000 US units, you can reduce to 1000mcg a day to maintain.

It is best to take methylcobalamin orally, on an empty stomach.
Sublingual is swallowed with the saliva, and ends up in the GI tract for the most part. If food is present, absorption will be poor or nil.

The conversion math for other countries B12 tests is on this thread somewhere. If you read this thread carefully you will find all the information you need to understand your B12 problems.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (03-26-2015)