View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Being Active (& Eating Healthy) with Generalized MG

Hey all!
Its a new year and like most people I am trying to stick to some healthy new year resolutions.
I've decided to adapt to a grain/gluten free diet to combat some of the weight gain that the prednisone will cause. So far I’m actually feeling more full when I fill up on fresh veggies than when I used to eat a bunch of overly processed foods. I’m using a nifty lil mobile app to keep track of my food /calories and its actually kind of fun.

The real reason I’m posting, however, is the subject of EXERCISE.

Before I got sick I was going to the gym 4 times a week with a trainer and was in pretty good shape (125lbs at 5’2). Slowly, though, I noticed I was not able to so as much without muscle weakness and was tired more often. I attributed it to laziness and stopped working out all together. Shortly after, the random collapsing started. One Year and FORTY pounds later I am uncomfortable in my own body, and now with the prednisone I’m afraid my weight will skyrocket even higher.

I have started to go back to my beloved gym but the reality of my condition is such a downer! I am pacing myself, and remain very aware of the signs my body gives me to be sure not to push too hard, but I cant help but feel a little disheartened. Doing squats or lunges seems an impossible task. Running on a treadmill is completely out of the question (though I can handle the elliptical for cardio just fine), and pretty much any high impact exercise that requires strength and balance is my legs is iffy.

I know that many of you share these types of symptoms and I wondered:
How do you stay active? Do you have any Tips/Tricks? Anything to work on lower body strength without collapsing?

Any feedback will be much appreciated!
-Lin
Lin_Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote