View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post-surgical medications...

If you've read my additional posts in my thread "bilateral transsternal first rib resection" then you know the horror story of a hospital stay I had. I won't retype that here, but I do have a specific question about my continuing treatment.

Since my surgeon has fired me and the PA who discharged me from the hospital gave me 2 days worth of hydromorphone and 10 days worth of baclofen (on Saturday) I'm staring right in the face of being "pain-reliever-less" and I'm not quite sure what is acceptable to request.

I was told that additional pain management would need to be requested of my PCP. I know this is asking a lot from him. He did not do the surgery and therefore is not very familiar with the requirements afterwards. Narcotics are strictly regulated, I know, and I don't want to get him into any hot water anywhere. I'm fairly certain, however, he will make sure my needs are met.

I have been consistently taking 1/2 the dose of narcotics allowed to me and spacing them out more than 4 hours apart to make them last. I still probably have another day or so left going at this rate. I'm uncomfortable, but okay.

The surgeon had indicated (to the best that I recall) that I could expect to be on pain medications (Dilaudid) for at least three weeks. I was given a script that wouldn't even let me get 1 week post-surgery though I've stretched it so it will get be just that far, but no farther.

Is it reasonable for me to request more medication from my PCP? Or will I just look like a drug-seeker? What have your experiences been with pain medication and how long you were on it? I find that there are still times (usually at night) that I need 4mg of hydromorphone but usually I can do with 2mg. I think I could be okay with some Vicoden pretty soon as I think that is a step down from hydromorphone and I was on that in the past when I broke a rib. Should I head down this path? Or is 1 week reasonable for pain relief and I should just tough it out past this point? I really, really, really don't want to get anyone in trouble- myself included but I really feel that it's unreasonable to think that I'd be back on my feet that quickly! I'm recovering fast... but I'm still pulling a 7 on the pain scale without medication!
LiveLoveandTrust is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote