View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have been going to a vestibular therapist for about four months now...once a week with exercises at home. It is very important to do something if you have vestibular damage, because it works with the brains neuroplasticity and makes new pathways to do the work of the ones that were damaged and do not get repaired.

Baby steps for vestibular therapy, though. She stops me after I start to feel a bit crazy and dizzy and spinning. Too little does nothing to retrain the brain, and too much is counter-productive.

My exercises consist of wearing a computer mouse on my head, holding another clicker mouse in my hand, and playing computer games (bejewled, shooting at pigs, etc.) with my head controlling the action. The goal is to fixate your eyes on something and get your head to move. I graduated to doing this on a foam to destabilise me a bit, and then eventually I will graduate to playing these same games while the treadmill is moving very slowly.

There are all sorts of different vestibular therapy exercises one can do, and I have found that there is a lot of overlap with the vision therapy exercises. Doing vision therapy while standing is perfect, because it works your proprioceptor system (muscles, etc. which send info to the brain), vision and vestibular (ocular-motor reflex and all that!). It is all interconnected. Anyone that has any damage to that stuff could benefit from some therapy.

When you are able, doing some balance exercises on the WII fit is very good vestibular therapy, but again, you need to do a wee bit and if you feel awful, stop there. Or better yet, stop before you feel awful. I am ok doing a few things on the wii fit, but not much. But getting better. baby steps.

I have been told that damage indicates brain stem damage, which is quite deep and should have been protected!, and is a sign of a long term recovery. Sigh.

Hope this helps. We do what we can!
Mokey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MsRriO (01-09-2013), musiclover (01-09-2013)