View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I did it for 9 months and it made a REMARKABLE difference in my recovery. There were times when different therapy exercises might cause a flare in symptoms, but I would lay down flat on the floor until it passed, normally a few minutes.

When I started, I couldn't ride in a car without getting disoriented and sick. I couldn't do anything where I wasn't standing directly upright, or I would feel dizzy and have to lay down to make the room stop spinning. It was really awful. Even simple things, like watching hockey or football, (which was a HUGE part of my down time before my accident), made me sick.

It took me 9 months to graduate, but now I am able to watch sports, ride in a car, drive a car and only very rarely have moments where I feel "off". Not so much nauseous or dizzy, but off.

For me it was totally worth it. I HIGHLY recommend it. The first few sessions are rough. But, what you are doing is training your vestibular system to tolerate increasing levels of movement and sensory information. So it's like when you start to exercise. The first few times are rough on your body, but over time you continue to build endurance and strength. Same idea here. However, you therapist will tell you what is a good level to strive for, without overdoing it, (making yourself feel worse or causing your symptoms to flare for hours afterwards, etc.)

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask
What Happened: On 3/8/11 I was stopped waiting to merge into traffic when I was rear ended by someone doing 45 mph. I walked away from the accident, to fall into the pit of PCS 5 days later... (I have had 2 previous concussions, but neither developed into PCS.)

Symptoms 3 Years Post: Physical: migraines, infrequent vertigo, neck and back pain (from accident), tinnitus, visual field deficits in left eye, problematic light sensitivity, (including visual seizure activity), noise sensitivity, EXTREME fatigue, semi-frequent disrupted sleep cycles,
Cognitive: semi-frequent Brain fog after cognitive strain, limited bouts of impulsivity, unable to concentrate for more than short periods of time without fatigue, word finding problems, slowed processing speeds, impaired visual memory;
Emotional: easily overstimulated, depression, anxiety;

Treatment so far: Vestibular therapy; Physical Therapy; Vision Therapy; Vitamin Schedule; Limited caffeine; Medications; attempting to limit stress and overstimulation; Yoga; Cognitive Therapy
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (01-08-2013), MsRriO (01-09-2013), musiclover (01-09-2013), ptcabe (01-09-2013)