View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

What a mess! They used to consider ALL CRABS about the same as a starting med and all were covered by insurance companies after the company battled it out with your insurance company. Many dont want to take A/B/R because there is a high risk of depression. Many didnt want A because it was a huge needle once a week into a muscle and they spent their weekend off with fevers, flu sx, and miserable. MAny wanted Copaxone even tho it was once a day and had the risk of the IPIR.

When I started on Beta back in 2006 it was $900 per month. I was on it for 2 months and I saw 2 increases in price. It was $1,100 per month. I was switched to Copaxone which was $1,145 per month. Each and every month I saw the price climb. By the time I laid down my needles in 2010 the price was $3,600 per month. My insurance only covered $5k per month for ALL of my prescriptions and that last bump took me right to the line. I got a letter telling me that I would either have to invest in a larger prescription policy or pay the overages.

Glad I quit because my job switched all SSDI clients over to Medicare D and then placed us all on a program that covers most of what MEdicare D wont. This saves them money as it forces the government to pay first. Medicare went to the head of the gate and now unless medicare approves my treatment, my Bc/BS wont. If they approve one penny my insurance will pay the rest.

This seems to be a common trend happening in SSDI patients that also collect a pension. We are being forced to place government programs ahead of the programs we are paying for. I pay a hefty price to keep my 2ndary and other insurance plans in place.

Its so complicated now. I would suggest calling the company that represents the drug you choose and ask for their help. The operator will know about programs, requirements, and hoops that need to be jumped thru before you can qualify. Many neuros cant keep up to the changes, so its best to call the company directly. The Beta nurses are fantastic. They were quickly able to tell me all about their programs.

Best of luck.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (01-10-2013)