Thread: edgelow kit
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

jkl626,

My therapist here thinks the diaphragmatic breathing is key to helping us not chest breathe even when we are sitting or standing, consciously all the time. Chest breathing is what causes our chest and muscle tightness and causes the ribs to rise and the first rib in turn to rise. ( Peter's philosophy) If Art does not think you need surgery then you probably don't. They are good at figuring that. As I mentioned before in my post don't order the whole kit. Order only the core stuff.
Infact you can order just the DVD and the booklet, if they sell piece by piece. You can buy the manual blood pressure cuff from a pharmacy and you already have the pinky ball on the stick from Art right? Buy a wide quilting ruler that is about 5 " by 24" put it on a table so it over hangs and use that to secure the meter. Follow directions from his DVD and booklet. Put a heavy book on the ruler so it does not slide.
First just learn the breathing, both the abdominal and the chintuck with the cuff. Don't rush this. It takes time to get it down. For me I can't do without Peter's core program nor can I do without Art's exercises. The combination with mobilizing from my PT here in Palo Alto works great. My surgeon and also Peter once told me for us TOS patients, if you feel 80 or 90% better then that's our normal, we just have to accept it as our normal. we can never be a 100 % and it's ok if we are ok with it.
My therapist is teaching me to notice my breathing when I am sitting and trying to make me consciously do diaphgramatic breathing. Very important to use the sitting pose that Art has taught us with the weight on the feet and siting a little forward with breast bone over the pelvis bone while doing this breathing. As she feels my diaphragm doesn't stay supple and soft and doesn't move smoothly and is causing some of my stiff rib problems. She is working on my diaphragm too since couple visits.
To answer your question Peter had me begin with the breathing exercises twice a day. After a whole year, I now do it once a day. Good luck
stos2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Akash (12-05-2014), jkl626 (01-10-2013)