View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Everyone has probably read all the hype about pH miracle this and that, and there may be some truth to that. I think we can all agree that everyone's body has a pH that is optimal for him/her, and we strive to get to and maintain that.

But what I was wondering is: has anyone monitored their pH levels at home with those testing strips, and if so, what did you learn? I just happened to buy some and we used them this morning....pH was MUCH more alkaline after our first PD meds of the day!

Do our PD meds mess with our pH balance? And how does that effect us? I'll keep a log for a few days and report back. If others want to do the same, the testing strips are quite cheap and easy to use, and you can get them at most health food stores.
This is a complete red herring. The kidneys (and lungs, via chemoreceptors)regulate the pH of the blood within a very tight range optimized for enzyme function. With the exception of extremes of pathological conditions (sepsis, diabetic ketoacidosis, etc.) and in the absence of severe renal or respiratory failure the range of variation is quite narrow and more or less biochemically irrelevent. This is regardless of what you consume, including most medications. A very few medications (such as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors) can alkalinize or acidify the urine or a few other subcompartments to a small degree, useful in a few clinical conditions.

Nevertheless, anyone who is not a nephrologist and wants to help you "regulate your body's pH" is selling you snake oil.

Re: PD-- find meds that work for you and take them. Don't worry about the effect on your blood pH.
mudfud27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (01-10-2013)