View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Kathie, Wheezing is usually related to an inflammatory condition, like bronchitis or asthma. I really think you would benefit from seeing a pulmonologist. They are invaluable for an MGer. They can run breathing tests to determine the cause of what is going on, including an arterial blood gas to see how poor breathing is affecting your body's metabolism.

I use a Nonin Sportstat. I like the brand because it's dependable and has survived many drops to the floor. The Nonin Go2 is the cheaper version but even that is $99. There are less expensive ones but you should do your research to find one with a good quality. I've had mine for 8 years now and it still works. Amazon has free shipping for many items but you need to check return policies and, again, quality of the products.

A pulmonologist can do an overnight oximetry too, to see how your O2 is while you're sleeping. It usually goes lower while sleeping, even for people without MG, because our muscles are weaker then.

As far as the "cut off" for an O2 that is too low, my pulmy has said that 88% is the point where someone needs oxygen. When I had my crisis, orders were put in to keep my O2 above 93%. It all seems ridiculously arbitrary. If you can't breathe well at 94%, you need help! My O2 went to 66% while I was sleeping during my MG crisis. Tissues are very sensitive to reductions in oxygen, especially the heart and brain.

An O2 under 90% is not great and that is while you are sitting still. How is it while you're moving around? What happens in MG when O2 goes down is that the heart pumps harder to get the body oxygen. That raises your pulse. So knowing what your normal pulse is helps to know what is abnormal. Yes, a heart rate does go up while moving around but if it skyrockets, that's usually a sign for me that my MG is getting worse.

I think that you simply need some more help. So, please, go see a pulmonologist and have them help you!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote