View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hi All Help Much Appreciated!

Hi All,

Great support forum here, thanks for all the answers thus far. I have a critical question (or maybe a few questions) that I'd really like help answering. Let me give a brief background and then ask the question.

Right before Christmas (on the 23rd), I took a hard fall in basketball. Someone jumped over me, landed on me, and forced us both to the ground. I shielded the majority of the fall with my forearms, knees, and shoulders, but still hit the front/side of my head. I remember the incident, was not unconscious, and continued to play for about ten minutes before the gym closed.

After this, despite feeling fine, I decided to go to the Urgent Care just in case. I went and did some neurological testing and they determined I was fine and was free to do whatever I'd like, though they recommended taking it easy.

I had an Alumni event that night and decided since I was feeling fine, I'd have a few drinks and see how I felt. That translated into me having 5-6 drinks and getting much drunker than usual. When I returned home, I had a small panic attack due to how drunk I was (slurring, etc., this never happens to me) and I took .5 MG Alprazolam (Xanax).

The following day I felt a lot better and drank a few beers and watched a football game at a friends house. That night I was fine and it wasn't until Christmas day that I began having piercing headaches, nausea, and some small cognitive issues (not having the right word, etc.).

At this point I began to freak out and realized it was possible I had a concussion. Since then, I've taken it very easy on my body, have not exercised, have not had any alcohol, caffeine, MSG, or any other substance that I believe would impact my body in a negative way.

My biggest question and frankly something that I am scared to death about: Could me drinking 6-8 hours following a concussion and then taking an Alprazolam have had a major impact on my brain recovery process and caused permanent brain damage or permanent lack of recovery?

Once again I must stress I did not black out, did not hit my head directly, and was not given an immediate concussion diagnosis. Since then, my PCP has diagnosed me with a concussion simply because I have had symptoms the past two weeks of headaches, nausea, irritability, and some depression.

I work in finance and have an extremely intense job that requires 80-100 hour work weeks on a regular basis. I am currently working but am not all there and wondering what I should do and what my options are.

Thanks for all of your time and consideration, it is very much appreciated!
swiftfoot55 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote