View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhits36 View Post
Hello,

I would appreciate any help- as I do not have an appointment with my neurologist for another month

My family doctor told me I have alcohol Neuropathy 2 weeks ago. I am 23, and drank A LOT through college. I woke up shortly after new years and had tingling in my hands, feet, arms, and legs, and had the sharp electric pains all over my body with some MINOR numbness. My B12 and folate levels were normal. My family doctor said my symptoms will subside in 1 month. I have stopped drinking in hopes of returning to normal.

Since I have stopped drinking, my symptoms have gone away. Which is great. However I do have some questions-

1. Can my nerves regenerate? especially since my symptoms were minor?

2. How long does it take for nerves from alcohol abuse to regenerate?

2. When symptoms go away, does that mean my nerves have regenerated? How can you tell if nerves have regenerated?

3. When nerves have regenerated, can I consume alcohol again (NOT TO THE AMOUNT I WAS BEFORE)

Again, I appreciate any help. I really want to understand the situation, and the time table I am facing for recovery. I am so young, and would love to have fun with my friends again at some point.

Thank you!
Hi...mrsd is the best! She has helped all of us! I would take her advise about the supplements and such. I'm just curious though how long did the tingling and numbness last? You said you woke up with it on new years which was only 2 weeks ago and it's gone already? To me that doesn't sound a lot like neuropathy. I think for most of us our symptoms have started and progressed over long periods of time. Once you learn to take care of your body it can get better. It doesn't make sense to me that it would just go away that fast by just stopping drinking. I also am a heavy/daily drinker and I have been for about 10 years with only brief periods of sobriety. I have neuropathy but I do not think mine is strictly from alcohol use. I am 25. How did your family doctor conclude it was alcohol neuropathy? Did they run tests of any sort? I'm just curious because it doesn't sound right to me. I wish you the best and good luck with your neurologist!
keepingfaith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hardhits36 (01-13-2013)