Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlynn View Post
I have a 12 y/o son (going on 13 in 2weeks) that has bipolar, ADHD,odd and some other diagnosis. I'm at the point where I need to know I'm not alone and there is light or something at the end of this very dark tunnel. I'm not to proud to admit that I need help dealing with this.
Hi,

Try not to be overwhelmed by the labels.
Most likely he has only one or two diagnoses that are covered by all the others.

1 If he is being medicated for ADHD right now, that is making the the bipolar worse. Bipolar needs to be treated before the ADHD is treated.

2 Take him to a psychiatrist who specializes in pediatric bipolar. If you can, get him the very best child psychiatrist within driving distance for you -- sometimes that is a large regional medical center or medical school.

3 Google "bipolar kids org" to find BPChildren where you can find help for family members.

4 Also, sometimes www.nami.org (National Alliance on Mental Illness) might be active in your area. They are good with families.

It is ok to be scared and overwhelmed. If you can, get some therapy for yourself. Talk therapy can help you deal with what is happening to your son, your family, and yourself. It will help you be in a strong position to help him.

Things do get better. He can get the right psychiatrist and the right medications so that he can feel better. Good luck.

M
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-14-2013), gmania (04-21-2013)