Thread: edgelow kit
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Woodstock3,
The top Tos surgeons in Northern California all know Peter Edgelow and when I visited the Stanford surgeon for my TOS is when he sent me to Peter. That's how I landed with him. But I guess you have a good question. Well Peter's philosophy is different and other therapists would have to believe in his philosophy to want to train under him. Also his protocol takes time to master and only then it works. That too if you don't have anything that needs surgery like I had fibrous bands that kinked my subclavian artery. The first time I went to Peter, his protocol did not work for me. Luckily Peter recognized the need for surgery, but felt a scalenectomy was enough and suggested I don't get my rib removed.
He was so right, my surgery was successful and I felt perfect, then after about 10 months, this time UCSF sent me to Peter because of scar tissue issues and he was able to help me again to work on his protocol. One of UCSF's top rheumatologist's had been Peter's patient and had been a success story and playing Tennis again.
But it didn't work as perfectly for me as it does now with my functional manual therapist working on my core, my ribs, my diaphragm) so each one of us is different and complicated. It works great in conjunction with manual therapy and other exercises given to me by my CFMT.
Wish Peter had recognized the need for manual therapy along with his protocol, he would have had a lot more beleivers!
It requires a lot of patience to believe in his protocol. I wish he was an enterprising businessman and had made this more wide spread and opened some sort of a TOS treatment center.
But he isn't and he also suffered from severe emphysema himself throughout his life, he is a very intelligent, gentle, soft spoken soul that just kept on with his research on neurovascular compression in TOS patients and worked with the top surgeons in TOS and his local patients and wrote TOS chapters in college textbooks and other books.
For us TOS patients, when you are in so much pain, all you want is to take that rib out and/or whatever else is needed and forget about working on something that takes months to master.

I wish they had not taken down his philosophy and his website though. As soon, it maybe a lost science! And sadly so!

Last edited by stos2; 01-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
stos2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Woodstock3 (02-19-2013)