Thread: Prednisone
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 07:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Unfortunately when I was started on prednisone I was in the hospital in a severe crisis and highly sedated. My husband (now ex) was informed of the side effects and risks and decided to allow them to put me on it to help save my life. I was very near death at the time. Cyclosporine had caused my body to have an adverse reaction and caused multiple strokes on both sides of my brain. I was on a ventilator and feeding tube. I had no input in the decision. If I had known how difficult it was to get off this drug I may not have allowed them to start it. That was seven years ago and I am just now down to 10 mg/eod from 100 mg/day. I have been up and down on the dosage over the years. I initially had lost close to 100 lbs. but put it back on very soon after starting the pred. I then lost 70 of those pounds but have put back on 20 of those. Because of the prednisone I have high blood pressure, high blood sugar (but not considered diabetic), ammenorhea, tooth loss (have to get dentures now - I am only 41), and it has caused my veins to shrink and they collapse whenever they try to get blood. I have a love/hate relationship with this drug. I love that it has kept me breathing but hate all the side effects. I think the decision to go on this drug is very individual and depends on the severity of your MG.
mamalori is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (11-02-2009)