View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Burning in cheek after root canal

I had a root canal started dec 24th due to severe pain that would only let up when I drank cold water. The pain was everywhere on my right side, I couldn't tell if was upper or lower and it hurt my cheek and ear too.

The procedure was quite painful and the dentist said the tooth had been dead for some time since it all black inside. She cleaned it up and sealed a cotton pellet with some formocresol on it.

10 days later I went to my regular dentist to finish the job. I had just completed 10 days of clindamycin and the pain had resolved after about 5 days.

My regular dentist prepped the tooth which was quite painful since I had no anesthetic. I could feel the files go past the apex several times, of so it seemed. He then inserted warm gutta-percha into each canal which hurt like heck for a second or 2. The xray showed a small puff beyond the apex which is what he looks for.

After the procedure the tooth was incredibly sore for about 4 days, as was my cheek. Ibuprofen helped. I was getting pain in my cheek and ear as well.

About 9 days after the procedure the pain was mostly gone but I had a slight burning sensation in my cheek. This burning has not gone away and it has been nearly 2 weeks. The sensation is quite distracting but mild almost like severely dry skin. It also comes and goes. I still get the occasional twinge from the tooth, especially as a eat.

Of course I read about trigeminal neuropathy and freaked out.

Does this sound normal? Does it found like something that might still go away?
With the exception of this morning it has been gone in the am and gets worse throughout the day.
montos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote