View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Welcome to NeuroTalk:

I wouldn't be surprised as magnesium is a very crucial mineral and often low in Americans.

But...if you have used Cipro, Levaquin or Avelox in the past, any of these could be a factor too.
This family of drugs is called fluoroquinolones, and they cause some disruption in tendon biology which is not understood well, and may even cause tendons to rupture long after the drug is stopped.

Tendons also have silica in them. Diets low in whole foods lack silica. Whole grains, bananas, green beans are examples of foods that provide this mineral.

There is an autoimmune disease that attacks tendons, and I think there is a blood test for that.
I've been on the occasional drug for sinus infections, poison ivy etc plus OTC anti inflammitories when my tendonitis has flared up but nothing else. When the tendonitis in my foot was stubborn and took forever to go away the DR did do blood work looking for Lupus which came back negative. I've been taking magnesium/zinc supplements for a couple weeks now to see if there is any improvement. I have a DR appt this week for my hand so I can have x-rays just to rule out a break of any kind. I'm able to move my fingers but it causes pain to flex hand up/down so I don't have the full range of motion. I've been wearing a brace on my wrist just to keep it from flexing back too far. After chasing tendonitis from elbow to elbow, foot and back again I just think there must be something more than just "old age & over use" - LOL, I'm not that old! Oh well, thanks for your reply. I'll post the DR diagnosis and post how the magnesium works for me.
pagrandma59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote