Thread: Burning smell?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclecrash View Post
I smell all different things that others don't smell. I also hear things that they don't like bells, alarms, phones, music. Its soft but there. Things also didn't taste the same but I think that's getting better. I have read about yhese symptoms and think they're normal but you should mention it to your doctor.

The one I'm kind of concerned about is that I choke on food or drink about once a day now. Never did that before. You know where something goes down the wrong way and you start to cough/choke? Nothing serious so far but one day who knows. Do you have this?

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad day. Have you tried meditation? I've found just 20 minutes a day to be very helpful with anxiety/stress and quieting my brain.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

CC
Hi CC, thanks for the reply. I've never had this kind of thing before the injury so it was new yet strangely NOT worrisome until I realized later in the day that it wasn't real. I need to make that part very clear to the doctor because otherwise it will just be discarded as a manifestation of anxiety. I wasn't anxious, I was totally calm and thought the strong smell was a reality of that moment. I thought nothing of it, except wow that's strong.

Some reading today suggests it was an aura of migraine as previous posters spoke of. Could very well be.

The metallic taste that coincides with my worst speech, plus this smell of burning, plus the incredible head pain, could add up to seizure territory. They may try an EEG on me (as I understand it) but unless I'm having an episode right that very second it will show normal.

If they can pass it off as mental health related instead of physicality in the brain tissue they will.

So really at this point it's just speculation that any doctor would give a darn at all, enough to do some testing, (potentially as useless as CT and MRI)

As for meditation.... I could try it I suppose. I just don't know where to start or frankly what on earth that means. Lol just being honest. I have always had such an active brain (thoughts going a mile a minute, the right personality for marketing and sales) that I cannot imagine what they even MEAN by clearing one's mind. How foreign! It just doesn't compute. Lol!
About it: October 26, 2012 I fell backward on an icy parking lot at work. I was on Workers Comp for 9 months. My PCS : everyday headaches became once in a while headaches, and neck pain became manageable. Still have occasional mild dizziness, sometimes fullness in the ears, convergence insufficiency, sequencing struggles, short term memory struggles, verbal processing delays. CT neg, MRI neg. Therapies: prism glasses, acupuncture, icing neck, resting, supplementing, Elavil 20mg at bedtime.

NEW: Completed 12 weeks of physical therapy and returned to work full time.

About me: I'm a marketing manager, a mom with a blended family and wife to a heart attack survivor. I believe my brain injury taught me more than it cost me. I'm grateful to still be me!
MsRriO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote