View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Everyone~ this is an interesting topic, and raises a few questions in my mind about undergoing an EMG. Well, I too had EMGs early on, and they were torture...at that time, I was showing some signs of RSD, but it had not been diagnosed. The EMGs did show that I had moderately severe bilateral carpal tunnel and also very severe bilateral unlnar nerve compressions that required rather prompt surgery, as I was rapidly losing hand function.

After the surgeries, RSD was confirmed. BUT, even after the ulnar surgeries, I guess I developed scar tissue, and the ulnar compression started becoming a problem, with increased "ulnar clawing" of the hand.

The hand surgeon said NO MORE SURGERY, for either the Carpal tunnel or the ulnar issues, because of the RSD.

The insurance company doc said to do ANOTHER EMG and do MORE surgery...

Well, the Pain Management Doc said NO SURGERY. Fortunately, I have a wonderful rapport with my Pain Doc. So I just looked at him and said "Ya know, Doc, if surgery is NOT recommended with RSD, then WHY should I even have an EMG in the FIRST place? All the test, for ME, is going to confirm is what we already KNOW--the ulnar nerves are shot, and the surgery is only going to make the RSD worse!" No more EMGS were done.

But, I can see where this could be a problem if someone DOESN'T have RSD. RSD can be pretty tricky to diagnose, and there are times when the symptoms are NOT RSD, so in that case, it would be important to rule out OTHER causes.

For me personally, now that I have RSD, I personally don't want anyone touching my arms with either a needle or a knife. The RSD causes its own set of "limitations", and those "limitations" are pretty much the same, regardless if the carpal tunnel or the ulnar nerve problems are involved.
It has been a "long haul" to get my RSD somewhat "status quo"!

So, it just boils down to weighing the "risks" versus the "benefits" of an EMG, and discussing this very, very thoroughly with our Doctors. Only you and your Doctor can determine what the best decision is.
Brokenwings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote